View Single Post
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2010-04-04, 14:48

It looks like the latest iTunes 9.1 update finally brought the "Convert higher bit rate songs to 128 kbps AAC" feature to iPhones, iPads, and presumably the rest of the iPod lineup. Previously, it seems that this option was only available for the iPod Shuffle, but Apple must have had a change of heart, maybe realizing that people want large libraries on their iPads/iPhones/etc. but that the flash storage isn't growing quickly enough for that to be a reality.

Anyway, has anyone else tried this out?

I enabled the option for my iPhone last night and let it churn before going to bed. Fans kicked up to full speed and it took a good while to go through and convert files of higher bit rate. This morning when I checked on it, my free space had gone from 2.18 to 2.97 GB. Not bad! A savings of ~800 MB is quite good on a device that only has ~7 GB after accounting for the OS.

Apparently some people are complaining that this feature also strips out lyrics. I don't have/care about lyrics; so, no problem there for me. It looks like the rest of the metadata and album art are preserved fine, though.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.