View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-03-25, 20:10

Dammit to hell, I don't know WTF is going on. All these ideas and suggestions are great, and SHOULD do the trick. But every time I try one from the Finder, I get that stupid message from above (not having permission to access the library, etc.).

Any time I try a method from within iPhoto, I can't actually "go back" and bring anything forward, or move back in time to March 7 to grab/select anything. The timeline works, but the windows on screen don't recede or "travel" correspondingly, nor do the back/forward arrows work. As before, only "Cancel" is available to me as a working option. It just displays the frontmost, current (today) iPhoto window, and a bunch of blank/old ones stacked behind...but I can't access/reach into them (from within iPhoto). I can when doing it from the Finder, but then I get that "you don't have permission..." message. Over and over.

Mats84, your suggestion/method above worked at first, and I was so amped (I opened up the window where my current iPhoto Library is. Then entered Time Machine, flew back to March 7's iPhoto Library, selected it, clicked "Restore" and it then "flew" frontwards into the present day and into the current Pictures folder (where I'd renamed the old one). It chews on it a bit, I get a "preparing to copy" dialog/task bar(?) and then, after about 15-20 seconds, the "you don't have permission..." message.

So it blocks me from both approaches...Finder or iPhoto. One saying I don't have access, the other not allowing me to travel back in time at all.

It's being a real bastard.

This is so damn stupid...this should've been solved/fixed weeks ago, and I've searched online, Apple's forums, I've tried everything sensible/obvious (and then some).

Now I'm just getting pissed. This is the kind of no-rhyme-or-reason shit I deal with anytime I sit down at a you-know-what machine...where something simple, obvious and basic should just work the way it's supposed to (and then, before I know it, 2-3 hours has passed and I have nothing to show for it).

My New Year's resolution regarding "patience" has bitten the dust, to say the least...

It's obviously some sort of permission/access issue, but I have no idea why and I've never encountered it before. In fact, about a year or so ago, I used Time Machine to retrieve some old iPhoto pics and events and it worked perfectly, just as expected. I don't know what's different now, or why this one thing is impossible (so far).

I'm giving up for tonight. I'll check here again tomorrow. I just need to get this restored at some point...we're talking nearly 1,000 photos/dozens of events from the best moments of the past 18-20 months of my life. I'm gonna absolutely freak the hell out if they're lost and unretrievable for good...