View Single Post
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2012-01-29, 10:42

Like Chinney, I'm sentimental about Kodak's demise. I've used many Kodak products, from the inimitable Kodachrome 25 (I have maybe 150 boxes of PKM slides waiting to be scanned… one day!) to the cinematic Ektachrome E200.

I also took full advantage of the awesome digital library Kodak put online in the late nineties, a veritable treasure trove of technical material on photography. I have no idea how it made any sense for Kodak to fund that, but that was the kind of thing that Kodak did in the glory days. Now the Kodak website is a shell of broken links.

I see Kodak as another great American success story terminated by the cult of the MBA. Is nothing sacred anymore? Maybe it's just the nature of capitalism. Kodak grew big by using every trick in the book, so perhaps no-one can complain if capitalism had the last laugh.

---

More positively, it looks like we're finally going to see new full-frame SLRs from Canon and Nikon soon, to replace the 5D Mark II and D700 respectively. These cameras tend to hang around for several years, so great things are expected! My greatest hope for these cameras is that they're priced within reach of keen enthusiasts. A $3500 or $4000 camera won't change much, and there's a distinct possibility we'll see such prices. I hope they're at least under $3000 ($2000 would be better, but the rumoured specs are too impressive to realistically hope for that).