View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-05-02, 10:08

Finally pulled the trigger three days ago and migrated my MobileMe account to iCloud. Everything went smooth and easy, but I've noticed the past couple of days that I don't get mail on my iPhone unless/until I turn the phone on, click the Mail app and navigate to the inbox. Because of this, I've missed about 15-20 e-mails in the past couple of days, not seeing/knowing about them until sometimes hours after they were sent.

Whatever you want to say about MobileMe, this was never the case. All day long, as new mail would arrive, I'd hear that little "ding" sound (or feel the vibration/buzz).

Just missed two emails from Dad this morning, sent 90 minutes ago.

What gives?

I didn't change any settings anywhere on my OS X Mail.app's preferences, and nowhere on the iPhone itself either. I can send and receive everything just fine, that's not problem. But my iCloud mail doesn't seem to be pushing/loading automatically for me now, after switching over to iCloud.

In my iPhone's settings - in the Mail, Contacts, Calendars section - the "Fetch New Data" field is set to "Push", as it's always been.

Is this an iOS 5.1 glitch, or something on the backend from Apple and their iCloud servers?

I ask because the same thing is happening to my Mom and my friend (who both have the iPhone 4s and running 5.1.

For what it's worth, my Mom is a newcomer to iCloud (she was never on MobileMe), and my friend, like me, is a longtime iTools/.Mac/MobileMe user. So this weird little issue seems to affect both types of iCloud users (those who are brand new, and those who've migrated over from longstanding, previous accounts).

Any ideas? Are any of you experiencing this?

I do believe my OS X Mail is working as it should. New mail will pop up in that inbox, even if I'm in other apps or not even sitting at the Mac or otherwise "triggering" any sort of "get new mail" actions.

It's my iPhone. And it worked perfectly (MobileMe push/IMAP mail) until I migrated to iCloud, so I know the problem lies within that in some sort of way.

EDIT: just saw this post at Apple's support forums. It describes exactly what I'm dealing with:

Quote:
I have been quiet but am still monitoring.

I just wanted to summarize:

Push stops working for no real identifiable reason
It could work for hours or days, no identifiable time
It fails on Multiple Servers (platforms)
It fails on Multiple Providers (iCloud, Google Apps for Domains, Gmail, Corporate Exchange Servers 2007 and 2010)
This eliminates issues with "server capaticy" since it is across multiple providers
It fails on WIFI and Cellular with no identifiable reason for starting/stoping
DNS Changes have not reliable solved the problem

The common denoninators are iOS 5.x and PUSH.

Push works on Google Apps for Domain, Gmail, Corporate Exchange Servers 2007, 2010 on other devices, thus this rules out the provider
Push works (worked) on iOS 4.x, thus rules out providers

All indications point to iOS.
Apparently it's a known, ongoing thing for many.

Bummer.