View Single Post
Chinney
Veteran Member

2012-01-20, 12:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
In other news Kodak filled a chapter 11. I think the restructuring will bring and end to the film devision altogether. Sad news for those who holdouts who still shoot film, but for most people it's a bit of a yawn. Kodak has done nothing innovative since they killed off their high end DSLRs a number of years ago.
I am old enough to be at least a little bit sentimental about this. I was a late convert to digital - and still have my old film equipment - but now have not taken a film snap for a few years. I sometimes still feel that there is a certain quality to film photography that is not reproduced digitally, but even that feeling has largely faded. There is just so much great digital photography out there. A better technology has come along. My only lingering feelings are when I see something like Fred Herzog's work, captured on Kodachrome in the 50s, 60s and 70s: http://www.equinoxgallery.com/artist...io/fred-herzog. My wife gave me a framed, full-size (about 20" x 30") version of this one from the Equinox Gallery as a Christmas present this year:

(The low-res online reproduction is only a pale shadow of the physical print)

I wonder sometimes if a digital camera could quite capture the organic subtleties of images such as that. I think that the answer is probably "yes it could", but I nevertheless do sometimes wonder. In any event, the move to digital should certainly not lead to a dismissing of the incredible work done by photographers in the film age.

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.