View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2011-01-29, 22:09

I'm seeing models of this kind on eBay hovering in the $255-478 range. Granted, those are auction bids. But considering the age and condition of the machine, those numbers may not be that far out of whack.

Gotta consider the age (this appears to be the first-generation 15" MacBook Pro early 2006, correct?), as well as the five-year-old spec and the battery, noise and SuperDrive issues. Naturally, it's long out of warranty so those issues, if ever addressed, would have to be paid out-of-pocket, which could get steep.

I personally wouldn't pay over $500 for it, and that's pushing it. I sold my 1.25GHz 15" PowerBook G4 (1GB RAM, 80GB hard drive, etc.) for $500 in September 2008, and it was five years old too. I think I got lucky.

But a) everything was working on mine, and b) the condition was perfect (no dents or dings).

So perhaps in the $400-500 range? Maybe to the right person/circumstances, the higher range? But it's tough to imagine anyone laying out too much over that for an older machine unless it was one of those "perfect timing/right person" scenarios...a secondary machine for someone on a budget, or someone's first Mac or laptop?

I'm not a pricing/hardware expert, so I'm just giving prices based on what I've seen online and relating my personal experience of selling a similar-sized Mac notebook of the same age.

Hopefully others here will chime in with their thoughts and suggestions.

My $500 might be a bit optimistic, considering all the factors at play (age, condition, etc.).

How were you planning on selling it? Locally via classified or Craigslist? Or posted on eBay or a similar site?

Do you already have an interested party? Or is it still wide open?