Thread: iPad-Mini Rumor
View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-04-20, 15:51

Same price as what? $249-299?

I'd honestly have to think. See and compare, consider where, when and how I thought I'd use it most.

I have an iPhone 4 and it's great. But for reading, surfing, Scrabble, YouTube/Vimeo, it's small.

The iPad is great, but I believe I could do with a smaller, lighter one and be okay for the things I do.

We keep talking about the iPad 2 somehow being in that space, and that's not really something I see happening soon. If ever.

If its between and iPad 2 at $399 or a 7" iWhatever at $249-299...knowing what I know, how/where I'd use it, etc. I'd save $150 and get the smaller one, yes, because it's still going to be twice the of what I'm used to and I'd like it for the things above.

Holding it, or propping it on my chest or tummy, it would probably feel a little more comfortable.

That's assuming it's the full iPad experience...iOS 5 and beyond, FaceTime, same apps, etc. Sure! I wouldn't be interested in a crippled or hobbled version, no (and I don't think they would do that).

But, see...that's just it. MY wants/uses are going to be one of many. Some similar, some not even close. Apple had to take all that into account as well. And they will/do, I'm sure.

What I don't agree with is just all these blanket "no!" statements and positions, where it's being hinged on 1-2 factors we don't know all the details on. Or from "well I don't want one myself, besides Steve said..." angles.

I'm merely open to the possibility of the iPad existing in other sizes and prices. Period, end of story. I don't have to get into the weeds of every "what if" or unknown because, to me, precedent and evidence already exists...just not in this particular line. Yet.

If, on some goofy planet where a 7" iPad and 10" iPad were both somehow available for $249 (talk about your fringe scenarios ), I honestly don't know. I'd try them out and make sure the usability and comfort is there, applied to my own personal intent (which isn't going to match yours, Krateos or Robo's) and go from there.

I personally don't find the iPad any sort of "immersive" experience to begin with, so perhaps that's why I'm not balls-out firm on the whole "10 inches or not at all" thing. It's a 9.7"...it's not wrapping around my head, surrounding me in color, motion and sound and that somehow going lower "ruins the experience".

Do bear in mind that I'm nearly at five years on an iPhone-sized screen...so I'm probably going to have a different perspective in all this than those who've had iPads from day one and view all this from more of a "less than" or "stepping down" angle. That, too, might account for some of the resistance?

But unless/until Apple magically drops the price of the iPad 2 another $100-150 anytime soon, I don't see that scenario being one bit more likely or plausible than the introduction of a smaller, more affordable model.

I wouldn't want a 7" at $399 or up, no. That would be idiotic. Part of it would be price, and I never said otherwise. But not an either/or trade off in my mind, either. I'd take it all into consideration...one kinda naturally goes with the other. If I can save some money and everything works and feels line it should, yes I'd have no problem with a 7" iPad.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2012-04-20 at 16:06.