View Single Post
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2012-01-25, 01:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky View Post
A password isn't a statement that of-itself is incriminating, and thus doesn't represent self-incrimination when revealed.
I'm changing all my passwords to "I'm Guilty". There, that should be covered now.

EDIT: Wow I thought I was being cleaver... I should read the whole post next time.

So what if encryption was seen as a way of destroying a paper trail. For example, if I were running a shady business and didn't want a paper trail, I would shred/burn documents. If I understand it, that act is not technically illegal until I am served or told to keep the evidence. Only after that, if I continue, can I get in trouble for destroying evidence. What if encryption was seen simply a real-time digital shredder/torch to destroy digital documents after they were no longer used?

The glaring difference being the possibility of data reconstruction. Burned is gone forever, shredded is obfuscated data that can be reconstructed with time, encryption is obfuscated data that can be reconstructed with time but with a user-specific backdoor.

wow, head hurting.

^^ One more quality post from the desk of Ebby. ^^
SSBA | SmockBogger | SporkNET

Last edited by Ebby : 2012-01-25 at 01:22.