Thread: Prometheus
View Single Post
Eugene
careful with axes

2012-06-02, 17:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
But, yeah...Star Trek (all of them...movies, TV shows, spin-offs, etc.) escaped me, as do all the shows like Firefly, Dollhouse(?) and the whole sci-fi/fantasy thing in general. I never saw Avatar (never even wanted to), and I just don't really follow the genre. I was never into space/sci-fi...just Star Wars (the same way that I gently correct people who say I'm "into computers"...no I'm not. Just Macs. There's a difference).
A lot of shows such as Firefly are only Sci-Fi in terms of setting/backdrop. I actually never watched Firefly when it was on FOX because its Western theme didn't appeal to me...Only after my friends forced me to watch it did I realize who much I liked it. It has a very good mix of comedy, action, clever dialogue and camp that cookie-cutter network TV rarely offers.

BSG (Reimagined) is another example of a show where people can appreciate the non Sci-Fi aspects. It was just a great product altogether.

And Star Trek? At least TOS and to some extent the TNG era weren't just about space+aliens. Sci-Fi personalities like Roddenberry and Hubbard were philosophers and visionaries...and while friends they were often at odds. Think of it as a modern version of the relationship Tolkien and C.S. Lewis shared. They used their writing to express their own thoughts on the world around them.

This is in very stark contrast to someone like George Lucas whose contributions are mostly technical (THX/Dolby Surround/ILM) and franchise driven.

Last edited by Eugene : 2012-06-02 at 17:51.