Thread: iCloud
View Single Post
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2011-06-06, 16:42

BU, that's a concern of mine as well - I would imagine that the functionality would be retained, but... it wasn't mentioned. We'll have to wait and see how that pans out. I have a sneaking suspicion that it will be rolled into the Documents syncing. Go take a peek at the dev API 'galaxy' slides from this morning - App sandboxing is mentioned. This would also make sense in light of Doc Versioning. Docs get versioned, they get to be auto-live with resumable apps, and they get synced.

I wouldn't mind moving to Dropbox for sharing files, but it would certainly be more convenient if it were doable from within iCloud.

Hunh. Just had a thought.

So imagine that all your docs are synced. You select any file in the Finder and under the Share menu, you select 'By Mail' which then pops up a dialog for what permissions you wish to give them on the file, and you enter in someone's email address. They get a link to the synced iCloud version of the file, with permissions as you stated.

Anywhere/anytime/anyfile sharing, and you don't have to 'put' it somewhere special like iDisk or Dropbox because your whole bloody machine is being synced in the cloud. You're just giving someone access to *a* piece of it.

Kind of like Windows' sharing capabilities, but across the globe instead of across the LAN.

Hmm.