View Single Post
Taskiss
Veteran Member

2009-01-21, 06:22

That's the mail server, I take it. The port number, as well as how it was formated as part of the host identifier and not as a check box "use well known port numbers" or whatever, seems to give clues that may help.

Just clutching at straws at this point.

edit: cwmx.com is for the iPhone's smtp server, apparently it's the "cingular wireless mail" (exchange) server or something... it's the formatting I was referring to though... so if you used something like "smtp.rr.com:25" (or whatever your smtp server's name is followed by the port number) and leave off the port info... then check the details in the connection doctor's output and see what it's doing.

It's really not supposed to be this hard...I've never had a problem even with all the crap that looked to have polluted my server list. I cleaned that all out, by the way - I'm left with my 2 incoming server connections and my 1 outgoing connection... still works like a champ.

Here's some discussion on Apple's forum about roadrunner issues:
http://discussions.apple.com/message...sageID=7002666

which leads to the following (claimed) solution:
Quote:
My mom uses RoadRunner by Time Warner. She was able to receive email using Leopard and Mail but not send. SMTP server was the big problem like everyone else here experienced. We finally were able to get it to work using many ideas here. What we did:

1) Delete com.apple.mail.plist from the User/Library/Preferences folder (BACK UP YOUR EMAIL FIRST)
2) Open Mail and create a new account but disable the automatic set-up feature, put your info in manually.
3) Uncheck " Use only this server" from the outgoing mail
4) Under the Advanced tab on Mail Prefs "port set to 25", Uncheck "SSL" box, and uncheck "Use Authentication"
5) Now hit Create

It took Mail about 20 minutes to contact the SMTP server, but it did and now I can send and receive Mail without any problems on her computer.

Bad Apple...stop criticizing MS and Vista when your own house is not in order yet. Hope this helps someone out there.....
http://discussions.apple.com/thread....sageID=6964913

real hackers don't use sigs

Last edited by Taskiss : 2009-01-21 at 08:51.