Thread: iCloud
View Single Post
Bonn89

2011-06-06, 19:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraetos View Post
Also, 5GB is pathetic, and I'm assuming that there will be higher priced options. $1/GB/Year is pretty standard and I'd cancel my $200/year Dropbox account in a heartbeat if iDisk was brought up to Dropbox standards (which it looks like it will be.)
How do you figure that 5 GB of storage, for free, that only applies to documents, app data (but not apps themselves), calendars, contacts, and email storage is pathetic? Dropbox only gives you 2 GB for free (although you can absolutely get more space for free, but not 3 GB worth), and Dropbox counts stored photos, music, and apps against your total.

For what iCloud is supposed to do, 5GB for small stuff (docs, email, app data) for free is a goddamned steal.

Besides, in no part of the Keynote did Jobs even suggest that iCloud would offer iDisk service or an equivalent. If you ask me, iDisk is dead. iCloud's Document sync is for Mac/iOS apps to get data back and forth between the same app on different devices, not general purpose storage. We have Dropbox to fill the gap left by iDisk.