View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-05-16, 17:00

That's because it's a ridiculous, maddening piece of shit that nobody knows how/what to do with. You spend money on some "cutting edge", (this week's) hyped model and, out of the box, it's running an OS from a year or so ago and, you later find out, that's about as new or current as it's ever going to get because this version can't run on that device from that carrier because of this firmware and that whatever, blah, blah...

Who, fully aware of this sort of stuff, would purposely buy into that silliness? And even if you're not the kind of user who cares about that sort of thing, you're still setting yourself up for some level of aggravation or disappointment.

Oh that's right, I forgot...it's "open"!

Yes, and so is my fly when I take a pee...

Say what you want about Apple, the iPhone and iOS...but when you buy one, you know you're not going to be "left behind" in a matter of months, or sit on last year's OS forever because of reasons completely out of your control and understanding.

What it really boils down to is this: if I'm going to drop $199 or more on a device I use every single day (and more than any Mac I've ever owned), guess what? I like knowing that I'm in the pipe for any and all updates and enhancements for at least the next two years (probably more), with no ifs/ands/buts or stupid caveats/exceptions that I have no control or recourse over. Not to mention having a vibrant, thriving app and development (and accessory) community at my reach.

Those are important to me, for the money/time involved, and only one outfit is offering that. So I choose accordingly, and in almost five years I've never once regretted or second-guessed myself.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2012-05-16 at 17:11.