View Single Post
rahhbriley

2012-08-04, 21:55

Im with you on this. Been following some of the discussion on this topic through stories and forums on MacRumors and 9to5 over the last 6 months or so as they occasionally pop up. I was searching for a jailbreak method to back up to a timecapsule, when I came across your thread. I agree with you there is a need in the "pc-free" age to have your iOS device back up to Timecapsule/Timemachine. It seems completely doable and realistically, apple could have something in the works. I don't think iCloud backups are the sole/finally answer to iOS backup methods. Security, physical location of backups, and space alone are good reasons. Let alone the software advantages on time machine backup and viewing methods.
Software updates could do what is needed and then as you've suggested if they could make a new piece of hardware, that'd be great. I think the new airport express, (look it up if you haven't seen it, looks like a white Apple TV!) would make a great design style for the housing. I think they could make a Timecapulse Express or something that does what you describe with the same other functions like USB sharing, router, headphone jack, etc. as an Airport Express.

I'm not sure what capacities would be best. Time machine works different than just backing it up. In osx you can go back in incremental steps to view different dates and times, yada yada. I'm sure most people here are familiar, I just think the point is important when speculating storage capacity of such a device. (which is part of what I think the OP really wanted to do in the first place? Nerd out and speculate cool awesome and yet plausible products from apple?) :)
The difference in how it backs up affects storage capacity, which for an iPad with 64gb, might need to be a fairly large amount?? Is such a contraption a solid state drive like the current iOS devices and apple tv? It would be quick, advantageous and make some since, but that much memory would be fairly pricy at the moment. But aren't traditional hard disks so 2007? I guess my thought process actually makes me start to question how small or cheap they would be? Hmmm? I guess a small step would be either a traditional iTunes like backup to a traditional Timecapsule. Or a software interface for accessing the iOS icloud backups in time increments like Timemachine in osx. but space would need to be cheaper and really would prefer to have my backups on my hardware in my home.

This all being said...I'm still confident in my search for a jailbreak method to do something similar, just wanted to through my two cents in the ring because I had wondered some of the similar things and hadn't hear too many other talking about it.