View Single Post
srizvi1

2007-09-19, 09:43

Thanks for the response dfiler.

Ok, so if there's no difference in performance, then there's no reason to change anything. I'll leave the setup as it is.

How come people did this in this thread though? Was it to get out of paying for Verizon's Modem/Router? I don't think they charged me anything - at least I hope they didn't (they never mentioned any charge to me in terms of purchasing or renting the unit). But that's the only reason to really do this right?

I like your LAN suggestion dfiler, but the new home of the router is upstairs so some computers upstairs nearby can and will be connected via LAN - but most won't. I really do need a good, strong wifi signal throughout the house so I'll install the Linksys 54WRTGL again and use that signal instead of the FIOS Modem/Router's wireless signal.

But this thread did get me thinking...

I had mentioned earlier that in my old set up with Comcast, the modem was on the main floor and that plugged into the Linksys 54WRTGL router right next to it. In that same room, had made a hole in the wall and ran cat 5 wires downstairs from this router into our unfinished storage room to the bridged Linksys SRX MIMO router. This helped me power the downstairs too.

Now, with the new FIOS modem/router making its home upstairs at the top, bedroom level, running cat 5 cables from there to the bridged router in the basement is out because I would have two go down 2 levels. So I thought I would have to give up coverage in the basement.

But I'm wondering now, is it possible to take 2 lines out of the ONT that FIOS installed outside? Some people take a CAT 5 from the ONT, but most take a COAX from the ONT right? If I could do both, then I could leave FIOS running upstairs as it is via the COAX. But for downstairs in the basement, I could use the CAT 5 cable that's coming into the phone jack instead into my SRX MIMO router. Since this is an active phone line, the other end of this CAT 5 cable is going into the Verizon-phone-line box thing outside. So, (via getting a tech to come back out of course), I could just move that cable out of there and into the FIOS ONT.

Right?

15" 2.16ghz MacBook Pro C2D w/ 3GB RAM
1.42ghz Mac Mini G4 w/ 1GB RAM