Thread: Prometheus
View Single Post
¡Damned!

2012-03-20, 17:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post
I'm totally jazzed about this movie as well, but judging from the trailers (and this kind of thing is subtle so I might be wrong) this movie is going to lack any of Alien's lived in, just a bunch of space cowboys hanging out vibe.

To me that was one of the revelatory things about Alien-- it was one of the first space movies I can recall where the interiors looked worn and the cast acted like people. I think that alone accounted for a lot of the film's impact. For instance, the horror of the first chest burster scene was vastly enhanced by the easy, almost improvisatory style of the meal scene just preceding it. The contrast was such a gut punch, like something insanely grotesque going down at brunch with friends.
I totally agree. The genius behind Alien was that it portrayed working on a spaceship as a real job. Like, a job job. But they're on a spaceship! It must be awesome! No, they're just towing shit in space and the crew members argue about payment and bitch about having to stop to check out some stupid beacon - and they wouldn't get paid if they didn't because of a clause in their contract. That's the most overlooked part of the film, imo, and this was made in '79! Truly forward looking.

Reminds me of a scene from Firefly (nearly 30 years later) where Wash says something like "sounds like science fiction" and Zoe says "you live on a spaceship, dear." His reply: "So?"

So it goes.

Last edited by 709 : 2012-03-20 at 17:21.