View Single Post
zippy
Veteran Member

2007-04-04, 00:06

So my wife and I were having a disagreement about the best way to keep 2-liter bottles of soda fresh - without the aide of special re-pressurizing attachments. My wife thinks it is wise to squeeze all of the extra air out of the bottle before capping it. I disagree. It would seem to me, that this gives the air in the soda too much room to escape, since it can just keep expanding the plastic before it ever reaches any kind of stabilizing pressure.

So, we picked up two bottles of Diet Dr. Pepper (our favorite) and will proceed as follows:

We will empty an equal amount from each bottle, then squeeze the air out of one, but not the other, and re-cap them.

Simple, yes?

But other details are less certain. When, and how often should we check for freshness. Obviously, the more it is opened, the faster it will go flat. Also, we don't have any room in the fridge, so they will have to remain on the counter. Might this negatively impact the integrity of the experiment? At least they will both be in the same environment, so it should be "fair", just maybe not optimal for finding out just how long the winner would remain fresh.

Feel free to share any thoughts, or opinions on which you think will win, and I will post results as they come in.

Now I need to go drink some Dr. Pepper.

Do you know where children get all of their energy? - They suck it right out of their parents!