View Single Post
Chinney
Veteran Member

2012-03-15, 21:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHogan View Post
It would have been interesting if Apple upgraded the battery in the iPad 2 to the one in the new iPad. They are saying double capacity, would have easily made for 15-20 hours of battery life.

[...]
Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinney
Faster charging? No mention of it. I am not sure that this is even technologically possible right now. I don't fault Apple for that. Maybe someday.
I've been voraciously reading the reviews that came out last night and I came across one review that addressed this concern:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG Siegler
While the new battery clearly isn’t much bigger than the old one, it can hold much more juice (42 watt-hours versus 25-watt-hours). The downside of this is that I’ve found it takes quite a bit longer to charge the new iPad. As in several hours — you’ll probably want to do it overnight.“
So, I suppose that using my iPhone charger to charge my iPad will not really work. It takes about twice as long to charge my current iPad with my iPhone charger as it does with the iPad one. I don't really mind since I just leave it plugged in all night (we have a charger tucked into a place we put our keys with just the cable sticking out). But if this one takes even longer, it might not be 100% charged by morning.
If the above is true, it looks as though Apple has been able to improve the battery's energy density, which would be a breakthrough. The new iPad's battery might still be a bit bigger though (explaining, maybe, the extra weight in the new iPad) so battery size might rule out the new battery for use in the iPad 2.

Now, though, if they were to manufacture a battery in the iPad2 size using the new technology, that would be a nice improvement for the iPad 2. For a number of reasons, I doubt Apple would do that: i.e., for consumer perception reasons, to maximize sales on the new iPad, and to avoid new development costs for the now secondary iPad 2, I doubt that Apple would want to go to the trouble of redesigning the iPad 2 battery and then have it outperform the new iPad in the battery life department.

Also, the likelihood that there will be no immediate improvement in the battery charge time 'on a time per energy unit' basis (and thus an actual deterioration in overall charge time) for the new iPad does not really surprise me. Maybe that will require new charger technology. As Tori posts, though, there is a variation even among existing chargers on that score, so maybe solutions will eventually be found, even if not shipping right now with the new device.

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.