Thread: iPad-Mini Rumor
View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-04-16, 19:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezkcdude View Post
The 7" iPad won't be *better* than the 10" iPad. It will be lighter and cheaper. What I'm saying is that it's not the *lightness* that matters to people. It's the *cheapness*.

If the weight and portability mattered more to people, they could charge $399 for it.

Nobody's saying (I don't think) a 7" iPad is "better than the 10" iPad" (I can imagine the two co-existing nicely serving two types of users, budgets, size/weight preferences, level of use (someone might be more inclined to shell out $249-299 on a casual, "sometimes" gadget than they would $499+. It will, however, certainly be better than all the other 7" and 10" "competition" (what little of it there actually is). And that's really the whole point...

And, yes...the cheapness. If this is what Apple has to do to get one into the hands of more people, and they have a way to do so that doesn't run counter to the things everyone here is carrying on about (profit margins, business sense, etc.), they might do it. That's really all anyone is saying.

The iPad 2 isn't sub-$300 (and probably will never be). Would be nice, but does anyone realistically see that happening soon? No. So maybe a smaller, cheaper model is how it would have to be done? How is that bad, if Apple figures out a way to make it happen? I can see that a hell of a lot quicker/easier than a $249-299 iPad 2!

It may never happen, for a ton of reasons. But those of you saying it won't/can't and proclaiming it a bad, wrong idea...you really don't know. None of us know what's in their labs or playbook, and we certainly don't know what sort of feedback or user data they're sitting on. A couple of people saying "I don't know anyone who wants one" isn't anything solid or deep to go by. No more than me saying I've talked to 5-6 people who said they'd like the idea. We don't know.

But I'm open to the idea, and wouldn't be surprised or bothered if it did. Or if it didn't.

But I don't get all this harsh, stern and freakishly passionate resistance to a mere idea or "what if?". That's what is so odd.

Crazier, more limited-appeal goofball stuff than this has been championed here. I've seen/read 'em all...this is mild in comparison, trust me.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2012-04-16 at 20:05.