Thread: iPad-Mini Rumor
View Single Post
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2012-04-20, 12:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
I want to re-clarify (is that a word?) something that keeps popping up. Nobody cares, or expects, a ~7" iPad to be "pocketable". Portability doesn't necessarily mean pocketable (the Kindle, in any of its versions and formats, isn't pocketable...it's "purse-able", and bag-able). That was never the point. Smaller and lighter, all on its own, would be enough for many...those accustomed to Kindles, those who find the current iPad a bit heavy (as I said earlier, while certainly not a "deal-killer" for me, the iPad is surprisingly weighty. It's one of those things that when I see it, I expect it to feel a certain way. But whenever I pick it up, it's kinda surprising that looks lighter than it is). Again, not a huge thing. But to many people, holding and using one a lot, they might like a smaller, tighter package. When you get down to this area, ounces can matter (or be noticed).
I've said it before, but I'll say it again. I just disagree with you on the reasons for people wanting to buy a 7" tablet. It's just cost. If it was the same price as a 10" tablet, I'd like to see a show of hands of how many people would choose the 7" tablet on the basis of "portability" alone.

Honestly? I mean, who would do that? I think you're kidding yourself if you think it's more than 1 or 2% of the market. The 7" sells because it's cheaper. Period. To say it's the size is just a rationalization.

If 4" phones weren't subsidized, very few people would shell out $600 for them.