Thread: iPad 3
View Single Post
Escher
Sub-PowerBook Lobbyist

2011-10-13, 13:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
I wonder how many would buy *both* an iPad and a MacBook Air, which I would see as sort of parallel (i.e., the Fire is to the iPad as the iPad is to the MBA).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
I'd be more likely to buy both an iPad and MBA than an iPad and a Fire. The MBA for me is a full-on desktop replacement while the iPad is still very much a leisure device.
That's exactly why I have an MBA and an iPad! They're both portable, but definitely not interchangeable in terms of both capabilities and the way I actually use them. And while I did travel with the iPad for a while, the arrival of my MBA relegated the iPad back to the living room couch -- and the porch, kitchen, and bedroom. But when I travel, I'm back to carrying a full-fledged 'Book, just that it's smaller, lighter, and more powerful than any of the PowerBooks, iBooks, and MacBooks that accompanied me before it.

As for Amazon's devices, I'll eventually spring for a Kindle Touch. But the Fire? No way! Unless it's as a cheap toy for the kids...

I've been waiting for a true sub-PowerBook for more than 10 years. The 11-inch MacBook Air finally delivers on all counts! It beats the hell out of both my PowerBook 2400c and my 12-inch PowerBook G4 -- no contest whatsoever.