Thread: iPad 3
View Single Post
screensaver400
Veteran Member

2012-01-05, 18:11

iLounge's Jeremy Horwitz has been posting some tidbits he's heard on his Twitter account. He also mentioned (which seemed to be pure speculation) the possibility of a 16GB iPad 2 at $299 to coincide with the release of the iPad 3. He also brought up the possibility of an 8GB iPad 2 at $199.

I'm not sure I see either of those happening (too little of the price of an iPad is in storage capacity), but I could see an 8GB iPad 2 at $299, and a 32GB iPad 3 at $499, basically mirroring their iPod touch pricing strategy.

Honestly, 8GB is probably enough for a lot of people, and a $299 price point would take a lot of wind from the sails of the Kindle Fire. Apple won't make a dumb decision just to compete, of course, but if they can manage to produce a year-old device with half the storage for $250 or so, and then sell it for $300, it would surely be worth the company's time.

The only issue comes from the iPod touch, actually. It would feel odd for a 9.7" 8GB device to be priced the same as a 3.5" 32GB device. I mean, it makes sense logically (trading screen size for capacity, or vice versa), but it's not as clean a distinction as Apple likes.