Thread: Imac RAM
View Single Post
Chinney
Veteran Member

2005-02-06, 22:58

A related question: how easy is it to install RAM do-it-yourself on the G5 iMac? I bought my G3 iMac with the bare-bones RAM a few years ago, but bought an additional stick and installed it easily myself, as a neophyte.

I am more than willing to do this again, but I wonder if the new iMac is as easy to get into. No doubt this was covered around here shortly after the iMac G5 came out, but I can't recall the answer, and now I am about to take the plunge and finally get a new computer....

On another note, this site recommends that you go for matched pairs of RAM for the iMac G5. Any comments from the experts around here?

Quote:
Apple says if you install a matched pair of DDR DIMMs in the two sockets, then the memory will be accessed on a 128 bit wide path, instead of the normal 64-bit path. That's great - except they do not define what "matched pair" means. It is not sufficient to simply install two PC3200 DIMMs of the same size - the two DIMMs need to match each other at the chip level, so that the machine sees them as being identially arranged electronically.

First step: Don't order extra RAM from Apple

The easiest way to do this is to buy the iMac with the minimum 256 Mb RAM then order a pair of 512 Mb DIMMs or a pair of 1 Gb DIMMs from us, and we'll guarantee they match.

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.