View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-05-17, 15:02

I went to a Verizon store with a friend and her mom several months back. I'd never really been, and was just tagging along for the ride and all. But basically the people there recommended and pushed pretty much everything - including a tin can in the parking lot - that wasn't an iPhone.

They posters and signage were around, as were demo units of both the iPhone and iPad. So I assumed the joint wasn't entirely hostile to the product. But the two different reps we dealt with seemed borderline dickheaded when they saw my iPhone (and when my friend had her's out too). Naturally he pulls out his paperbook-sized something-or-other model and it just looks like a box of Crayons threw up all over the screen. And he kinda had that "I'm doing something simple but making it look complicated and 'heavy lifting' so I properly convey the seriousness of this phone, and how it's not for you Apple pussies out there. Real work, you see?"

If I'd rolled my eyes any more, they would've popped out of my head...

A friend of a friend of a friend did the same thing a while back, showing me his phone and the only real thing he could tout was "this screen's a lot bigger", and some ringtone acquisition.

Yeah, I'm gonna go right out and chuck my iPhone so I can deal with ugly icons at 4.5" and download any Limp Korn ringtone I want!

Uh, no.

Smartphones have actually made people more stupid, ironically enough. Is that how it works? Are they actually zapping our brains and sucking our intelligence out, little by little? Because I swear, as a culture, we're getting dumber by the week...but these $99 phones can launch/control a NASA mission FFS. It kinda terrifies me if I stop long enough to think about it.