Thread: Car Talk
View Single Post
Eugene
careful with axes

2012-09-05, 04:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian Gray View Post
If drivers want to pretend they’re rallying, they could start by shoving their seat forward by about six inches, so they have a hope of controlling the wheel quickly and precisely. I’ve seen so many guys poke fun at their girlfriend/wife/anonymous woman on the road for sitting too close to the steering wheel. No: you sit too far from the wheel. By about a mile. Do you think you look cool with your arm stretched out straight to reach the wheel? Maybe you do, but don't do that and simultaneously pretend you know how to drive. Amateur.
Ridiculously cramped driver position is sort of a throwback to earlier days. Only some drivers still do this...and of course they also have short throw shifters, 5 point restraints and HANS devices. If I sit that way in a normal car, I imagine an airbag deployment would completely miss my head rather than hit both my head/chest.

F1 or Indy car drivers obviously sit in a severely reclined position due to the design of the cars...

It looks like Foust sits farther back, Block closer to the wheel. The position of the wheel is relatively higher than most people prefer as well.

EDIT: The front seats *are* reclined past way past the B-pillar. It was probably done to make the interior look more spacious.

Last edited by Eugene : 2012-09-05 at 11:56.