View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2013-10-05, 16:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
One solution is to use a home server to provide most of your data, only keeping core information on the device, that can be restored from iCloud. There are already several brands of home servers that do just this, and work with iOS and Android devices.
I truly believe it needs to be a slick, seamless and idiot-proof Apple-based solution. Ground up for iOS, meant for that market/user. No decisions, effort or deep knowledge required by the user beyond the initial basic setup. It's been my experience that third-party stuff is always 2-3x more complex than it needs to be (Apple has spoiled me over the years...I can't deal with the idiocy and complexity of some of this shit I see out there...I set up a Netgear router a while back and I thought I was going to put a gun in my mouth). And I'm somewhat savvy (or at least able to read a manual and usually figure things out).

But it'll do me no good at all to foist some third-party device/solution on these folks I know - who know next-to-nothing about stuff like this - and expect it to go smoothly. Because it won't. And my goal, moving forward, is to hear less from all these people.

No, this is Apple's doing and shortsightedness...they need to be the ones to address it and provide the easy, obvious solution with something no more complex than the existing Time Machine/Time Capsule (or Migration Assistant). They'll better support it all via updates, and keep it working nice with the latest iOS versions, etc. I don't trust third-party outfits to be on the ball with that stuff as quickly.

Apple isn't perfect (obviously...I've made that case this week ), but they've rarely held me completely over a barrel like some other outfits I can name, in terms of fixing flaky software and keeping their stuff running smoothly and reliably on the latest OS and system updates.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2013-10-05 at 16:39.