View Single Post
addison
Formerly “AWM”

2012-05-23, 08:37

From the article...

Quote:
"The only drawback to the iPhone is it doesn't have 4G, and Verizon is really pushing 4G," another rep said on the phone. "Don't get me wrong, the iPhone is a great phone. It just costs the company a lot of money for returns when customers find out that a faster 4G network is available and the iPhone's only on 3G."

I initially told half the representatives that I wanted "a new smartphone," and half that I was interested in an iPhone.
When I said up front that I wanted an iPhone, none tried to talk me out of it. But when I followed up by asking if it was the best smartphone, they all said no.

"If that's what you want, absolutely we'll order it," one rep said over the phone. "But my recommendation is 4G. I'd want the fastest, best technology that's not going to be outdated when I buy it."
Doesn't exactly sound like they are giving people the hard sell to me. You ask for an iPhone they give you one. Like I said before they are pushing LTE which is a huge improvement over their 3G where the speeds are pretty bad. I wouldn't want to sign a two year contract with a 3G phone from them at this point.

I have my personal line from Sprint who has the absolute worst data speeds in the country. I usually get around 200 -300 kb/s and I've seen ping times as high as 1000ms. Why would I ever get an iPhone with them at this point? But that's all they shove down your throat at their stores.

Carriers spent years pushing the iPhone as the only choice. Nobody complained about that. Now they aren't doing that anymore. If people don't want to be offered any choices maybe they should go to the Apple store to make their purchase.