View Single Post
ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2007-01-17, 14:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by _iCeb0x_ View Post
1. When automounted on login or after restarting the Finder, the NTFS partitions show accurate information on size and free space. However, if you use Disk Utility, it will show the infamous "zero-everything". I have not tried the command-line method, since it's working quite well with Finder.
This zero-size problem is known, but I don't know how to fix it. It's not really a problem with our scripts; the cause of that problem lies much deeper, and it's beyond my resources to fix it... and probably chucker's as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _iCeb0x_ View Post
3. My NTFS partition is being shown as a network mount, which seems strange. I've read this whole thread and saw something about this, but I can't find it now...
Yeah, this is a decision that was made by the MacFUSE developers, and here's the best explanation I could come up with:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowOfGed View Post
Also, the decision to make FUSE appear as a network filesystem is likely due to the fact that the userspace daemons can die, like a network connection might. So it's essentially treating the kernel-to-userspace connection as a netlink, because they both have uncertain reliability when compared to local, in-kernel filesystems.
If you're annoyed by the network volume icon, you can set the volume icon to be something more appropriate, just like you would for any other volume:
  1. Copy your desired icon from anywhere
  2. Open Finder's "Get Info" window for the volume
  3. Click on the small icon in the upper-left corner, and it will become highlighted
  4. Paste (or drag) your desired icon into this area
I used that to make my NTFS volume appear as an external USB volume, which is the correct icon. You can also copy icons from the "Get Info" window, by selecting the icon as described above. So open a volume with the icon you want, copy it, and then paste it into the NTFS volume.

As for the "missing files" issue... Finder sees a network volume, and thus filesystem notifications (that happen on file creation/updates/deletes) are likely disabled. On a regular network filesystem, it's either (a) impossible to implement, or (b) too bandwidth-intensive to justify benefit. Since MacFUSE masquerades as a network filesystem, that's why these things don't work. It also prevents Spotlight from working properly, I think. I'm not sure there's anything we can do about that.

If anyone wants to dig around for solutions, feel free.

Apparently I call the cops when I see people litter.