View Single Post
Matsu
Veteran Member

2011-11-14, 14:09

In your view does it make more sense to go with a smaller, but higher quality 1920x1080 panel? It's for home.

Every so many quarters I'm allowed to benefit from deptartmental purchasing, but these are not items that are on the list.

Our labs have 27" iMacs and or Powermacs with 23" Viewsonic displays. I'm quite spoiled by the large iMac screens.

At home I'm using an older 19" 1280x1024 Dell attached to my 15" MBP. Not a great combination. I can get the Dell where I need it for brightness, but two mismatched screens don't really work, even after I've taken all sorts of time to launch the palettes into one screen and open images into another. Every time you grab a tool, or move up to the menu at the top of the screen, you lose track of the cursor for a moment, or you find one control over to one side away from the palette you're going to use near/over the image. Annoying.

Apple/Adobe should build some dual screen UI parameters into menu heavy apps, so that we can more easily accommodate custom screen configs. A palette monitor mode would be great. Something that puts all the menus/boxes in a window on one screen, and launches/expands the working palette overtop the image on another screen. You can almost set it up that way, but not quite. What you can't do, for instance, which might be especially useful for browsing images in bridge, or for filmstrip views: Browse in one window, expand image onto second screen, full screen...

But back to the monitors, I think the trick to buying a Dell is to hunt for the right promo/coupon combination that lops $200-300 from the price of the thing - it happens enough that deals can be found.

The problem now is that my wife has seen the 27" Thunderbolt display in action with a Macbook and she's in love... She does have good taste but she views these things as a matter of decor and functionality. She's completely insensitive to technical specifications and the subtle minutia of small variations in colour - unless dealing with garments/decor - ask her to look at two different color profiles of an image, or the difference between a 1080P and 720P (or even 480P) screen and she'll quickly lose patience and tell me they all look the same

Try now convincing her why the ugly screen with lots of wires costs more than the pretty Apple one...