View Single Post
Matsu
Veteran Member

2011-11-18, 08:54

Turns out the u2711 is a 10bit panel with 12bit LUT. Not bad, basically a slightly smaller u3011. Reviews rate it rather well, perhaps best of the budget bunch, before you move on to NEC, and then in the nosebleed section, Eizo - which are both better overall.

Still, the monitor can reproduce the aRGB space, and seems to have well calibrated preset modes to constrain it into sRGB or aRGB in unmanaged environments. Best news, I can find it for $750.

Deals on 30" panels are harder to find, but from time to time there are aggressive deals that get the u3011 down to about $1,000. I think the slightly taller/larger panel has some advantages for photo work. You sit back just a little more, and since a lot of photos are taller, it translates into nearly an extra MP of full size viewing.

On a 30" display, a 3:2 image could open up to 2400x1600 = 3.84MP
On a 27" display, a 3:2 image could open up to 2160x1440 = 3.11MP

So, it's actually 3/4 MP, but they're also larger, so you can sit back a little more for perspective.

It's just a little thing, but it adds up depending on how you like to view, organize and edit, and how good/bad your eyesight is...

Some people say they find them too big to work with. But a lot of those don't seem to like 27" either. I have no problem with 27" screens, never really used a 30" screen except to ogle them. I know I actually manage to find 21" screens cramped now. Just watching other people work at their desks, the sweet spot for many seems to be 23-25" - that is they just sit down and work, and don't adjust the screen or their keyboard or chairs, not super scientific, just an observation.