View Single Post
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2012-03-07, 18:42

What interests me more than the iPad de-naming is that Apple is now branding the iPad's rear-facing camera as an iSight (the front-facing camera is still FaceTime).

This makes sense — the FaceTime camera shows your face, the iSight camera shows what you see — but it's interesting that it's yet another example of Apple ressurecting a name from their past in a new context, like SuperDrive and iBooks.

Apple's reasoning? I'm guessing it's to differentiate between the new iPad's "real" camera and the iPad 2's shitty throwaway one, in a way that doesn't rely on throwing out a bunch of numbers. With as much attention as Apple gives their cameras, with fancy lens assemblies and special ISPs, it makes sense to give them a brand, and iSight works as well as any. Apple is saying, "other devices may have 5MP cameras, but they don't have iSights."

I fully expect a much-improved iSight camera to be a marquee feature of the next iPod touch, and I'm sure they'll extend the branding to the new iPhone as well.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong