Thread: iPad-Mini Rumor
View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-04-20, 10:26

I want to re-clarify (is that a word?) something that keeps popping up. Nobody cares, or expects, a ~7" iPad to be "pocketable". Portability doesn't necessarily mean pocketable (the Kindle, in any of its versions and formats, isn't pocketable...it's "purse-able", and bag-able). That was never the point. Smaller and lighter, all on its own, would be enough for many...those accustomed to Kindles, those who find the current iPad a bit heavy (as I said earlier, while certainly not a "deal-killer" for me, the iPad is surprisingly weighty. It's one of those things that when I see it, I expect it to feel a certain way. But whenever I pick it up, it's kinda surprising that looks lighter than it is). Again, not a huge thing. But to many people, holding and using one a lot, they might like a smaller, tighter package. When you get down to this area, ounces can matter (or be noticed).

We assume everyone is just taking it with them wherever they go, 24/7. For some, sure. But I think a lot of people would, for $249-299, be thrilled just to have it around the house, WiFi-only, as their quickie surf/music/app/game thingie.

Whatever the case, nobody's saying 7" is pocketable, nor would they expect it to be.

It's just smaller and lighter. As with the MacBook Air, that seems to be enough to many.

I know it's not a one-to-one comparison (a handheld iOS device, vs. the Mac lineup), but in some ways it is...Apple makes three sizes of MacBook Pros, two sizes of iMac and two sizes of the MacBook Air. The smaller ones are cheaper and seem popular. They're not hated or overlooked, and their existence isn't questioned or maligned in any way.

I don't get the disconnect on this topic.

In every other aspect of Apple, people have clamored (and still do) for "smaller, lighter and cheaper". And the one device that Apple sells by the boatload - and is becoming as iconic to the company as the 1984 Mac, jellybean iMac and the iPod ever were - people are acting like the mere notion of it is unthinkable and without any merit whatsoever.

What is it "everything goes" on every other product line, but the iPad must be 9.7" and nothing else?

My honest, gut feeling on this is had word never gotten out that Steve poo-pooed the 7" size, a lot of this resistance probably wouldn't be around. Had Apple just put the iPad out and we never knew that he had strong feelings against other sizes, I don't think there would be so much back-and-forth. As we often do, a year or two into the product's life, we'd all be here going "what about a smaller, cheaper iPad...like they did with the iPods?" or "do you think a 15" iPad Pro makes any sense?". There would be some openness and wiggle room on the topic that I'm not seeing currently.