View Single Post
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2012-03-07, 10:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Does this exist? Any technical reason it couldn't?
Sort of — you can backup to iTunes, which in turn can use Time Machine to backup to Time Capsule.

Quote:
With iOS introducing the "PC Free" angle to the iDevices (and allowing AirPort setup/administration from the device itself), I was wondering if there was a backup solution in place other than iCloud? Specifically one of Apple's own doing, as with the Mac to Time Capsule, where the user sets it up and runs it from their own home/network.
The pre-iCloud/pre-iOS 5 backups are still there, right in iTunes. (You can even do both.)

Quote:
I think the default iCloud free storage is 5GB. But most people are going to have way more than than in just music or photos (I've got 16GB of music and 9GB in my iPhoto library, for example...and I don't even think those are large collections, compared to some others I know). I know it doesn't count against your purchased music, apps and books (and Photostream), but that won't apply to everyone.
Yeah. I thought 5 GB was a lot; then I started actually using my iPhone 4S and realized that making a few 1080p videos can fill that up way too fast.

Quote:
And having just come off of .Mac/MobileMe, I think many aren't eager to start ponying up annual fees again for some Apple service that, once again, seems a bit more complex and "not quite there yet" than we thought it might be.

Yes, though I have to say it's a lot more "there" than .mac and Mobile Me ever seemed to be.

Quote:
For someone rocking an iPad-only life, would it make sense for a way for their sole computer (iPad) to wirelessly backup to a Time Capsule?
No-can-do. Need iTunes.

Quote:
I realize the existing Time Capsules, at 1-2TB, would be complete overkill for this use so that leads to the question: would an iOS version of Time Capsule and a scaled-down, cheaper version of Time Capsule (a smaller, maybe flash-based device with, say, 64-128GB of storage) make sense in this increasingly iOS-friendly world?

You could bypass having to purchase more iCloud storage and just have an in-house, integrated system that backs up just as your Mac currently does to Time Capsule, via Time Machine.

Is this a good idea? Why, or why not?
The closest you can do right now is buy a Mac mini with an external hard drive, put iTunes on it, and set up iTunes iOS backup and Time Machine.

Quote:
And, technically, is it doable? A year or two ago, we'd all say "no, because you back up your iPhone or iPad to iTunes and then it backs up to Time Capsule...plus you couldn't set all that up with just an iPhone or iPad...".

But, fast-forward to March 2012...none of that applies anymore.
It still applies, because iCloud is inherently non-local.

I'm not sure if Apple is interested in providing more options in this space.