Thread: iPad 3
View Single Post
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2011-10-12, 12:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezkcdude View Post
How many folks are truly using the iPad as a creation or productivity tool? I rarely do. It's nice that it has some capabilities, but I'd say that right now it's about 95% consumption for me. I read, watch some movies, browse the web, play a few games, but spend little time writing or creating presentations on it. In the end, I use of my "big macs" for that stuff.
I honestly don't know. I've seen some pretty cool stuff created on it, and oddly enough (considering there's no hardware keyboard), particularly writers seem to enjoy using it productively.

Quote:
I suspect I'm not alone, and that very few people actually use their iPad heavily as a content creation device.
That may be. I honestly can't say because I don't have one, and have not much of a need for one — my main computer is a MBP, and my "other computer" is an iPhone. There's not much room for in-between. If I had, say, a desktop instead, I could see myself ditching the laptop for a tablet.

Quote:
Also, Apple might not be competing with Amazon. But Amazon seems to be competing with Apple fairly explicitly:

Point.

Quote:
Yeah, to some extent, all these form factors are competing for our discretionary dollars.
This. I wasn't suggesting that it's not possible to choose between a game console and a gaming PC; obviously, many have to make that choice. Likewise, many may be faced with the decision between a Kindle Fire and an iPad.

But you're also faced with choosing between a small "shopping" car and an SUV. Or between an iPod nano and an iPod touch. Doesn't mean they directly compete.