View Single Post
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2012-01-24, 09:52

Right, that's the big issue here. It's not about can the authorities gain access on their own. In the case of the door (or safe really) they would simply bypass the locking mechanism and access the contents. However this is without the accused providing anything (assuming there is a warrant of course).

They can have my HDD and do what they will with it. They can crack the encryption all they want. There is nothing to stop them from controlling the hardware and working to "bypass the locks" to get to the data.

See, if encryption wasn't so good this wouldn't be an issue. The problem is that encryption is stronger than the Feds ability (in a reasonable time) to crack. This means they don't like it an want to force the information from me that might (or might not) incriminate me.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.

Last edited by turtle : 2012-01-24 at 10:12.