View Single Post
srizvi1

2007-09-19, 09:21

I just got FIOS installed yesterday, but as I posted over in the How fast are you thread?, I'm not really happy with I'm getting with the wireless connection.

With FIOS, i'm supposed to have 15mb/sec down and 2mb/sec up. The speed seems to be good wired, but not wireless.

I'm coming from Comcast where my setup was comcast cable -> motorola modem -> Linksys WRT54GL on the main floor -> bridged Linksys SRX MIMO router downstairs (to give coverage in the basement).

I'm wondering if just the supplied FIOS router/modem thing is crappy so I was thinking of just turning off the wifi on the router and using my Linksys WRT54GL router again. But these two posts got me a little interested:

Quote:
Originally Posted by theelmerguy View Post
I have had Verizon FiOS (5Mbps down, 2Mbps up) for over a year now. It is mighty fast, esp. with torrents (up to 600KB/s).

The Verizon guy came and installed the ONT (as stated in previous post) and an ethernet cable went directly from that to the D-link wireless router (DI-524) that I have been using for a year or two before I upgraded to FiOS (you can use any router available, don't fall for their requirement to purchase the wireless router that they offer). At first, it worked right away when I plugged the cable into the WAN port (my router's wireless access point had already been set up with my Mac and other PCs). After a few months, it stopped working. I called Verizon and they walked me through setting up the router to connect through PPPoE with "newdsluser" as the user name (I think the password was left blank but I forgot). It's been fine ever since.

Connecting with a Mac has nothing to do with the FiOS itself but has everything to do with the router's wireless access point. If you can connect wirelessly to your router right now, you can do it with the FiOS installed. The FiOS is merely how your router connects to the internet.

I'm sure you'll love the FiOS. I kind of want to upgrade to the 30Mbps FiOS but it's $179/month and would only be used for bragging rights. There is nothing I do that can take advantage of 30Mbps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfiler View Post
I've had Verizon FiOS for a few months now. Setup is no different on a PC then on a Mac.

In fact, I'm using a normal dlink router (dgl-4300) to connect to Verizon via dhcp. My Macs then get their LAN addresses from the dlink router.

Fiber from the street connects to the ONT (optical network terminal) in my basement. There is a cat 5e cable running from that to my router.

Verizon will supply a router but you can swap it out for another version in most areas. Their router was massive and power hungry so I swapped in my own. Plus, I wanted gigabit switching on the LAN. Keep in mind though, not all areas support dhcp on FiOS. You may still have to use PPOE and possibly a PPOE that requires you to use their router/modem.
Would there be a significant advantage in going the route described above of taking a CAT 5 cable straight from the ONT that Verizon installed outside to the room in the house where the main router would be? My house was built new in 2005 so my phone lines are all CAT 5 cables that go from the rooms straight outside the house. I could just use that.

Right now, I have FIOS running up to the bedroom where the FIOS router is via the COAX (RG6 I believe). But since I have CAT5 cable running into the same room from the outside as well, I could use that.

15" 2.16ghz MacBook Pro C2D w/ 3GB RAM
1.42ghz Mac Mini G4 w/ 1GB RAM