Thread: iPad-Mini Rumor
View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-04-20, 17:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezkcdude View Post
You didn't mention price. That's what I was referring to. They don't really want smaller and lighter. They want cheaper. I'm just trying to make that point explicitly.
I've mentioned "price", agreeing, in about three of my posts. If it's smaller, I assume it's going to be cheaper. And if you're a young person, student, or a casual user who thinks they'd like one (but just can't see themselves on the damn thing 24/7), maybe spending $249, regardless of the size, beats spending $399+?

I think the "immersion" angle is played up a bit much. It's the same OS, icons, apps and experience as a phone or iPod touch. Yeah, the larger iPad is nice (but if I can flick my eyeball 1/8" to the right or left and immediately see my arm or the floor, how "immersed" am I really? ). I think most people could deal just fine with a ~7" iPad (or iPod touch or whatever causes the least uproar) that they can get for $249-ish. One doesn't cancel/override the other. For some it might be a size choice (Kindle lovers, kids/teens, smaller-framed people, people who don't want to tote larger, heavier-than-necessary things around, etc.). For others, it might be all about the money. And with others it might be a little of both. Who gives a rip about the reasons? They're going to be different for each buyer. It's that way now with Apple's lineup, isn't it? I'd like to have a 64GB iPhone, but I can't swing $399 as easily, and guilt/worry-free, as I can $199...so I make decisions, sacrifice where I can and deal with the rest just fine. That's what people do.

Remember, regular people don't obsess on the crazy things we do here. They're not counting pixels, worrying about display angles, upload speeds, "immersion" and God knows what else. All they're thinking is "holy cow, I just got a brand new iPad for $250...it's twice the size of my phone and I can't wait to get it home!"

You keep, for multiple posts, framing this as some sort of negative. I've agreed for several posts that it factors in as well. It's not "either/or".

Some people don't have $399+ lying around as disposable or "I'm curious..." money.

I don't know what's wrong with the notion of a more affordable iPad. And if getting it affordable means they have to make it smaller (but it's still 1024x768 so there's no worry or hassle for developers or customers, and it's still twice the size of an iPod touch or iPhone and it does everything the larger model does: same store, same apps, same iCloud, same FaceTime, same e-mail, Safari, etc.)...so what?! It's merely a choice for those who want/need it...like all the other non-pocketable things that come in various sizes which Apple is currently selling the hell out of.

And it's ridiculous to use the "there's not been a successful 7" tablet" as any sort of argument here. Fact is, there's barely been any sort of successful non-Apple tablet period. With all that Apple has going for them - the momentum, reputation, proven track record, huge success in this field already, solid, powerful and secure OS, thriving development community, build quality, good service and support, thriving ecosystem, a simple, easy-to-understand lineup, retail stores, a growing presence in third-party resellers like Best Buy, Target and Walmart, the iTunes Store, an overflowing App Store (that despite all the caterwauling from the "open" crowd keeps useless, shady or harmful shit away from users), iBooks, third-party accessories by the gazillions, good design, ease-of-use, regular updates that apply to all recent devices and that aren't dependent on variables the user has no control over because you've got multiple companies in the mix trying to put their individual unique "stamp" on things, etc. - of course nobody's had any success in that area!

How could they, as none of the above applies to any of them. If anyone's going to have any sort of successful 7" tablet, factoring in all the above, who do you think it's going to be?!

Someone would have to be a grade-A contrarian bonehead to somehow think the one company that would pull it off somehow couldn't (because the less-than competitors never did).

Huh?

A turd isn't going to be pleasant to deal with no matter how you polish it up and present it.

And Apple isn't in the turd-making business.

Apple could probably put out a 7" iPad next week - just out of curiosity or to settle a bet - sell it online-only for just three months and it would still outsell all sizes of the competition.

Maybe they could donate the profits to RIM.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2012-04-20 at 18:43.