View Single Post
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2007-03-08, 21:20

Seems Ma' Bell didn't like the competition and has also not taken to kindly to Vonage using it's patents to make a buck.

C|Net's Version, CNN's Version

The short version: Standard "Did not." "Did Too." Verizon says Vonage is using Verizon's patents to make money. Vonage says it's not. Grand Jury said they are using two of Verizon's patents and ordered Vonage to pay $58 Million USD and 5.5% fee per customer.

Seems this will in the end effect all VoIP providers and that Vonage is just the big fish to take out and set the ground work for further settlements and lawsuits.

As a Vonage user myself, I'm not pleased with the idea of my phone company having to pay out more money than they have. With not turning a profit yet, I'm not sure how they are going to come up with the money for this. However the biggest concern is Verizon's trip to court again immediately follow the verdict to have Vonage to be forced to shut down all services related to the patent infringements.
Quote:
But the biggest risk for Vonage is that the company could also be forced to shut down its service. In addition to the damages, Verizon is asking the court for an injunction. On March 23, U.S. Judge Claude Hilton will hear arguments to decide whether Vonage's service should stop offering service until an acceptable licensing agreement can be worked out. Vonage said in a press release that it doesn't expect any interruption in service.

"We don't believe there is any basis to support Verizon's request for an injunction," it said. "If the trial court does impose an injunction, we will seek an immediate stay from the Federal Court of Appeals. Vonage's customers should see no change to any aspect of their phone service."
It'll really suck if they are forced to just turn off their services because of this. I don't mind paying an extra $2.15 per month because of the features I get and the piece of mind that the mobility of the service brings me. The fact is I also just hate Ma Bell. I'd avoid them with my cell phones if I could. Satellite phones are just a little too expensive right now.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.