View Single Post
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2009-06-19, 12:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
I don't know about the comment about what "real beer" tastes like.

Guinness? Not very tasty at all.
Belgian beers? Very subtle, almost watery.
German? Sure Germany loves its hops, but you also have straight up bocks for getting you drunk...no hops here.

I mean, I love IPAs, I love Stone Brewery, but there definitely seems to be a lot of bandwagoning on the hophead side of things.
Agreed. Go on BeerAdvocate or any other beer review site and you'll basically see a direct correlation between the amount of hops and the overall score. The more hops, the higher the score. For many beer tasters, that's all that is important.

In a way, it actually helps you judge what a beer will be like based on its score. If you see a beer with an overall score of A or A- on BA, you can pretty much be guaranteed that it's absolutely loaded with hops. A B+ or B might indicate more of a stout, but it still has to be hoppy. It's around B- or C/C+ that they get to beers that I like - full-bodied, but without too many hops or too much bitterness. Below that you start getting into flavored beers and macros.

One of my favorites is Finnegans Irish Ale. It's a non-profit brewery in Minnesota. Finnegans is brewed with potatoes. I quite like it. Again, thick but not very hoppy or bitter, which is what I like. It has a C+ on BA because it's not overloaded with hops.