Thread: iPad 3
View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2011-10-12, 11:53

I'll make a prediction right now (and we can all gather back here next year to either laugh or bow ). The regular e-ink touch Kindle, of course, will be huge (no mystery there). In fact, that will be the one that gets all the attention and sales, even over the Fire.

Prediction: while I think the Fire will enjoy modest, mostly "eh..." success, I truly think most people will just prefer the entrenched, does-everything-Fire-does-and-more option of an iPad. Even with the pricing factored in. I don't think people want to spend stuff on fractured "kinda does everything, but not quite" devices (especially in similar sizes from the same outfit)...6" e-ink reader, 7" color Fire.

Just feels weird. There will be some (maybe lots?), of course.

But I don't see the Fire making nearly the dent/impact people are thinking.

It won't "suck", and it'll certainly not be the embarrassing poop-the-bed take on the design that some of these others have been in 2010-2011. But I don't see it selling anywhere near the regular old e-ink Kindle in its new touch-screen design. I think people would rather go small and e-ink for reading (a known, proven thing...especially since the Kindle touch isn't changing screen size, resolution, etc.), and, for color and the whole enchilada, just go balls-out and get the real thing (which is an iPad).

Time will tell, but that's where I'm putting my prediction.

I think it'll be a success, but I don't see any roofs getting blown off or some massive, worldwide "Fire craze" (pyromania?) taking root.

Just my gut feeling on it. Except the Kindle Touch to be the barnburner here, not, ironically, the Fire.