View Single Post
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2011-12-22, 19:58

I believe so, yes.

I'm more curious than ever as to what Apple is going to do about the Mac Pro., and the tower form factor in general. Plenty of people still want the expandability and the option of using a card like that, and putting 4 HDDs in, and having 32-64GB of RAM and PCI slots for specialized purposes.

But high end workstations are no longer where Apple's bread is buttered. Like the XServe before it, I am expecting it to ride into the sunset... just don't know when. I expect the upcoming rev to have the same case and the normal speed bumped components, and a variant of that 7970 card as an option, but after that?

I guess it'll depend on how much Mac Pro functionality they can fit into a different sort of form factor. I'm probably going to get the next rev, as I'm on a 2009 version right now and it just feels to me like the next rev might be the last one unless Apple does something drastic and actually compromises with the non-tower headless Mac we've wanted for so long. At this point I can't even guess what Apple's going to do, I don't know what sales numbers are like for Mac Pros these days and whether it's worth the effort to keep them going.