View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-03-07, 19:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
I find it kind of odd that Siri didn't make it to the iPad...
Three theories on that, although I could be wrong on all of them...

1) I wonder if they're wanting to lay off it a bit while still in beta (although having it on a bunch of new iPads would've helped test/improve it more).

2) Or they didn't feel good about including it on a product line which, unlike the iPhone, half the lineup doesn't have Internet access at all times (although they could've made it a feature, like GPS, of the LTE models to encourage folks to step up?

3) Unlike an iPhone, which is in everyone's pocket or purse 24/7 - and easily taken out and quickly used with one hand - maybe they just don't imagine folks walking around and pulling an iPad out of their bag or sleeve to ask Siri something, having to fumble with it and use two hands to do so? And you know they don't picture people jogging around with one and dictating texts or to-do changes like you see in the iPhone 4s/Siri commericals.

I figure the reason lies among the above somewhere...one of them, or a little bit of all three?

People can be goobers (especially if they're new to such stuff and coming into it based only on what they see online or a commercial). Imagine the grief and hassle (and returns, exchanges or refunds) of dealing with people who, despite should having known better, go out and buy Wifi iPads without fully understanding how Siri works (it's not built-in and requires a connection) and then get all pissy when they're out and about and find they can't use it.

Apple wouldn't be able to run enough disclaimers and warnings about "Siri only available on the LTE iPad" to get through to many. They probably just don't want to deal with the headache.

Maybe they'll release it as a software update later on (part of iOS 6?) meant to install/run on only the LTE iPads? Maybe the LTE iPads have the needed hardware already onboard, dormant and simply waiting.

I don't know.