View Single Post
Eugene
careful with axes

2004-11-22, 01:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaqtly
I think there's a certain irony in comparing the DS's graphics to the PSP's, and saying the DS will fail because of it. Rewind to 1996, when the Nintendo system was the hot new Nintendo 64, with graphics easily superior to anything available on the rookie Playstation system. The Playstation's graphics were blocky and choppy, most games had a draw distance of about 2 feet, there were aliasing problems and it was incredibly difficult to program for, at least compared to the N64. The Playstation's library was absolute crap for the first year of its existence, while the N64 had Mario right off the bat. The winner was obvious.

If that example tells you anything, it should be that graphics alone do not a system make. It's quite possible that the DS's slick networking implementation, innovative use of the dual screens and the near total domination of the portable game market (thanks to being able to play all GB games) will easily outweigh any graphical differences.
I didn't touch the N64 with a ten-foot pole. It didn't appeal to me at all. There are diehard N64 fans out there, I know, but I think the majority of Nintendo fans would agree it was a flop. The achilles heel of the N64 was cartridge capacity and the price of games. Those are the same weaknesses the DS will have today considering how huge games are getting. Look at PC games like EQ2...It ships on ten CDs.

I think if Nintendo really wanted to be innovative, it wouldn't have used two screens at all, but ONE large touchscreen. And in addition, the use of CDs in the playstation allowed it to have much richer textures. Is there anything on the N64 that looks as good as the original Gran Turismo in high-res mode?

Citing Mario as a killer app is silly. 3D Mario is and forever will be an abomination.

Last edited by Eugene : 2004-11-22 at 01:48.