View Single Post
Matsu
Veteran Member

2012-01-20, 13:37

I have't really paid attention because it's not what I want to do. I'm surprised by how much of the telephoto line-up is upgraded to AFS, almost everything! Outside the 135 f/2 DC, there aren't too any long AF-D lenses that interest me. But at the wide end, especially smaller (f/1.8/2/2.8) FX primes, there's nothing wider than the 50. I think they have to keep focus motors around for a little while longer, but maybe it's a smart game to "incentivate" a round big lens upgrades from those still holding AF-D glass or scouring the used market - it would depend on what we see offered in lenses.

I think a... let's call it a D700s... could get by with either of a D3s or D4 sensor. Especially if the camera is more basic in its operational speed and flexibility, less robust, etc... you might get the same sensor, doesn't mean you get the same camera. People looking at prices aren't buying D4s regardless. But, it's the flip-side of that equation that dictates the decision: are people who value -2ev autofocus tracking at f/8 while shooting 10fps at ISO12800 willing to put up with a slower focus system and slower shooting rate, and are there enough of them? Or do some people on the cusp have to be up-sold?

Maybe it's a camera that can come to light 8-12 months after the first few runs of D4 have sold...?