View Single Post
¡Damned!

2007-08-15, 21:47

You know, I'm in the midst of a mental battle right now. I usually have a couple of 6-packs of Sierra Nevada in the fridge, but today I look and I'm met with a couple 6-packs of Beck's. You know what? Not fucking bad. At all. For a nice crisp beer anyways.

An aside:

When I bought in to my brewery I had high hopes of possibly being able to make beers myself in my basement (as homebrewers do). The fresh yeast would give me an advantage to be sure, and I wouldn't have to rely on the hop pellets that most homebrewers do. We do centercut mostly for the domestics (imagine...4'x3'x2' cardboard boxes coming in from the West Coast filled with fresh, lovely hops... opening them up is as close to heaven as you will ever get), and the import stuff was pelletized but done right. With all these things to my ultimate advantage....do you know what I eventually realized? I am not fucking patient. At all.

I eventually came to this conclusion: I am a chef, not a baker. Truly, I will babysit a marinara from boil to serve, ever tasting and adding and stirring. I just can't leave my hands off the goddamn thing...but give me a homemade loaf of bread or something that needs to be left alone in the oven...I'm a goddamn mess. And God forbid your oven doesn't have an overhead light for me to peek in on. You might as well add an hour to the cooking time with all my peeking and letting the heat out. The only thing I've ever successfully baked was chocolate chip cookies.

So it goes.