View Single Post
GSpotter
Veteran Member

2011-12-23, 03:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaqtly View Post
Plenty of people still want the expandability and the option of using a card like that, and putting 4 HDDs in, and having 32-64GB of RAM and PCI slots for specialized purposes.
I think (although no data to back this up) that there are at least two groups of people interested in the MacPro:
1. People who just need more memory / more computing power and need a different monitor
2. People who need specialized cards (in addition to point 1), e.g. for audio and video production or scientific applications.

So I'd like to see a successor of the MacPro where the current model is split into two modules:
1. A core containing the processor, memory, drive bay and a graphics cards slot (maybe one additional slot, in case you want to upgrade e.g. to new interfaces)
Should be smaller and cheaper than the current MacPro
2. A thunderbolt extension box (could be designed snap to the core box to become one enclosure) with expansion cards for those who need this expandability.

A nice option would also be an 'entry' model with just the same motherboard than the high-end iMac to lure those people who want a desktop with a faster processor and graphics card than the mac mini and without the monitor of the iMac...

My photos @ flickr
The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either. -- Benjamin Franklin