View Single Post
remlemasi
Formerly “theelmerguy”

2006-12-18, 04:15

I have had Verizon FiOS (5Mbps down, 2Mbps up) for over a year now. It is mighty fast, esp. with torrents (up to 600KB/s).

The Verizon guy came and installed the ONT (as stated in previous post) and an ethernet cable went directly from that to the D-link wireless router (DI-524) that I have been using for a year or two before I upgraded to FiOS (you can use any router available, don't fall for their requirement to purchase the wireless router that they offer). At first, it worked right away when I plugged the cable into the WAN port (my router's wireless access point had already been set up with my Mac and other PCs). After a few months, it stopped working. I called Verizon and they walked me through setting up the router to connect through PPPoE with "newdsluser" as the user name (I think the password was left blank but I forgot). It's been fine ever since.

Connecting with a Mac has nothing to do with the FiOS itself but has everything to do with the router's wireless access point. If you can connect wirelessly to your router right now, you can do it with the FiOS installed. The FiOS is merely how your router connects to the internet.

I'm sure you'll love the FiOS. I kind of want to upgrade to the 30Mbps FiOS but it's $179/month and would only be used for bragging rights. There is nothing I do that can take advantage of 30Mbps.