View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-03-07, 10:56

That's my whole point, really. I know iTunes is required, which means a full-on computer is required.

I'm talking about someone who can totally get by with just an iPad. No iTunes, no computer.

It would take a new iOS version of Time Machine (how hard could that be?) and a new piece of hardware designed for that smaller capacity.

I was just curious.

I think it would make a great companion, and fill-in piece, to what I believe will be a more common, accepted approach.

It's everything you have/get with your current Mac-to-Time Capsule setup...you're just replacing it with an iPad-to-iCapsule. But it's still valuable data being backed up, how the user wants.

It's seeking to remove the computer (and iTunes) completely from the chain. Apple themselves already kickstarted that with PC-free and iOS 5. This just takes it the rest of the way, for those who don't want to pay for extra iCloud storage or iTunes Match. Just a another version of AirPort/Time Capsule aimed at this particular market.

Or, if Apple determines that market isn't quite yet large enough to design new, dedicated wifi/backup hardware for, at least maybe create an iOS take on Time Machine and let one's iOS device(s) back up to existing Time Capsule hardware?

They're so close...for a year I asked for a way to set up AirPort from the iPhone or iPad. It came to be. I have to believe I have enough "initially goofy/ultimately sensible" ideas that I just need to be patient and wait for Apple to come around...

I'll make a small, additional prediction here: Apple is going to release an iPhoto-level type software today and it will pretty much fill the gap for those wishing "if I just had something as good as iPhoto for organizing and manipulating my photos...", and then, at some point, all the above is going to have to be considered.

Because I know about 10 people in my life right now who are either on old MacBooks or white iMacs, or shaky PCs, or, in the case of two, no computer at all. And none of them are "into computers" enough to need the full overhead/expense of another full-on computer...PC or Mac. All they do is surf, Facebook, e-mail, have a digital point-and-shoot and have small digital music collections (under 3-5GB).

They've got "iPad candidate" written all over them, but there's just a couple of pieces missing...