View Single Post
Koodari
Veteran Member

2004-11-22, 02:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by ast3r3x
As far as comparing Nintendo to Apple. Don't, it's silly. Also...xbox is the best console on the market to be honest.
First, I think the parallel between Nintendo and Apple is obvious. Quality over quantity, quality over price. Tight focus on a certain kind of experience. Both develop major software titles and design the hardware in-house. Both have a loyal following, and then there are those who just "don't get it".

Second, I'm guessing you play different type of games than I do. XBox (we're talking about unmodded, with standard controllers, right?) controllers are clunky. Nowhere near as responsive than PS2's, and my favorite game genre lives and dies by the controller. I originally bought PS2 just for Virtua Fighter which is exclusive to that platform, and though I have other games, I still haven't played them much compared to VF4Evo. I have Soul Calibur 2. I am going to get GTA:SA and Guilty Gear X2. Those are all cross platform. I have Gran Turismo 3 A-spec, going to get GT4 when it's done. Those are PS2 only. Neo Contra is on the way - PS2 only. I might visit Tekken4 some day - PS2 only. To date I don't know of a XBox exclusive game that I would be interested in. The FPS's all come out on PC, are better with mouse and keyboard. Halo specifically I just don't like, no matter which platform. On the other hand, on the Gamecube I have several games I'd like to play: Pikmin, Super Monkeyball, Wind Waker, Ikaruga. GC is also cheaper than the PS2 and XBox, so more reasonable to own just for a few games. A console doesn't necessarily have to provide a steady stream of games to the end of the world, even if that's a plus - if it has a few amazingly good ones, that is enough of a reason to own it.

IMO XBox's best features are the hard drive (also the possibility to put in a larger one) and network adapter. Good if you run Linux, XBMC or otherwise mod the console. I might still do that if I find a sub-$100 XBox.