User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

Got a mockup or an idea for one? Post it here!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Got a mockup or an idea for one? Post it here!
Page 6 of 39 First Previous 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10  Next Last Thread Tools
Chromeus

2004-08-18, 19:39

here is another one that i thought of real quick
the reason that it is all in the back is because its also a portable notepad computer aswell and based on the already award winning design of the ipod
just alot bigger and dockable with the keyboard mouse and speakers or you can pluck it out of its dock and use a stylus to move to mouse around
this would be gound breaking for apple and what a way to celebrate the 20th year

Last edited by Chromeus : 2004-08-18 at 21:04.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-08-18, 19:42

You know, that is just about too cute. I like it a lot, in spite of myself!

Definitely thinking outside the norm!
¡Damned!

2004-08-18, 19:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messiahtosh
Reminds me of the 'iMac 2000':

Which also begs the inevitable question....where are the handles on all of these mockups? It's not a iMac if you cant carry it around somehow.

So it goes.
Chromeus

2004-08-18, 20:00

thanks P glad you like it
it came to me just suddenly
and it makes since with all the rumors of the notepad mac floating around
maybe it is the next imac
and how cool would it be to dock the big mutha
or just walk around surfing
oh and the power button would look kinda like the buttons on the 3g ipods
with a white glow instead of red
Quote:
You know, that is just about too cute. I like it a lot, in spite of myself!

Definitely thinking outside the norm!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-08-18, 20:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709
Which also begs the inevitable question....where are the handles on all of these mockups? It's not a iMac if you cant carry it around somehow.
Ha, I thought about this today (but didn't have the chance to implement it until I got home). So here's my "added handle" modification, which actually works on this design. Would be like carrying a shark fin around like a briefcase.

I also added some more details than the earlier version (vents, played with the gradient mesh some more, rear ports, separated the display from the base a bit, worked on the tilt/swivel hub, deepened the optical drive area so one could fit, added an Apple logo, etc.).

I know I'm totally biased, but the more I look at this, the more I like it. It would swoop up gracefully from that spread-out "feet" part in the front to meet up with the vertical "guts compartment" around back. In fact, think of the JBL Creature II subwoofer, how it does that smooth, swooping "Darth Vader helmet" taper from the bottom to the upper areas. That's exactly the look I imagine for this. Same glossy white casing too...

billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2004-08-18, 21:01

Quote:
Oh yes, high brow slang!
you putz, it's from yiddish...

whatta shmuck.
Chromeus

2004-08-18, 21:26

heres is one to give you a since of scale

good work by the way pscates on the tshaped imac
its very elegant
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2004-08-18, 22:09

I definitely like the last three designs discussed. I would be afraid to break 'tosh's design because it looks a little fragile, where the screen adjusts is the trouble spot for me. The Mondo iPod idea is pretty great. I think the design is awesome, and the concept of dock-ability is something we should maybe talk about. I feel that this idea could perhaps be something stronger towards the realm of a tablet maybe? Paul's design is evolving the best I think. What I particularly see cool about it, is that I would be able to fit it in the corner of my desk. The smooth base of the "T" would fit into the corner perfectly, with peripherals like a subwoofer behind the screen. That is how I like my desktops set up typically, maybe not for anyone tho. I'm just concerned with stability, whether adjusting the screen sharply might tip the entire module sideways, but this could be solved easily with weighted feet.

User formally known as Sh0eWax
jouster

2004-08-18, 22:10

Quote:
I just cannot conceive of Ive producing anything as fugly as that.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2004-08-18, 23:17

That drawing is awful looking in comparisson to the likes of pscate's and chrom's graphic design. I wouldnt even think of it as a looker, based on that sketch! I'm just trying to get the idea across, sadly enough, I can not seem to instill beauty into my design.

Paul's Design:

Amazing, the way it looks to me now is awesome because it has everything that the current iMac has, and keeps some jellybean iMac traits as well. If that thing came in colors man...

The iPod-iMac concept:

Ridiculously awesome looking! It is really Apple-like and I love the thinking behind it, it's something that completely slipped my mind and is just really original. How cool would that thing be? A great excuse for un-docking it...to do your hair in the morning.

My concept aside, there are some really tremendous ideas here, pretty amazing stuff. This topic sort of shows the power of the internet, it's like one giant focus group. Keep evolving those designs now! Unfortunately, I can not take mine any further, having pencil as my only medium makes it difficult to rival those silky-smooth designs that the rest of you guys have.

"We are reviewing some 9,000 recent UNHCR referrals from Syria. We are receiving roughly a thousand new ones each month, and we expect admissions from Syria to surge in 2015 and beyond." - Anne C. Richard, Assistant Secretary, Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-08-18, 23:27

Someone upthread wanted to see the front of mine...

FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2004-08-18, 23:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky
you putz, it's from yiddish...

whatta shmuck.
I think Meshuganatosh would make a nice member title...
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2004-08-18, 23:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFL
I think Meshuganatosh would make a nice member title...
I like the one I have, thanks. Try to stay on topic.
Chromeus

2004-08-18, 23:45

based on the sketch .. from above I came up with a quick sketch of what i think you are looking for

Last edited by Chromeus : 2004-08-18 at 23:52.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2004-08-18, 23:45

that's a nice mockup paul. think it would have heat vents at the top, where the hanlde is though? i'd guess if it has a G5 in it, it's going to be putting out a pile of heat. probably a similar situation like the current model of pulling air through the base, and out through the top.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
Chromeus

2004-08-18, 23:47

btw pcscates that looks awsome keep up the great work
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2004-08-18, 23:47

Chromeus, that's kind of what I'm going for, though it needs the LCD to be on a "train track" so that it can move back and forth. I also sort of insist on it having the back piece that "doesnt do anything" because I want the whole thing to be able to fold up and lay flat, like a PowerBook. That would make it easily transportable.

"We are reviewing some 9,000 recent UNHCR referrals from Syria. We are receiving roughly a thousand new ones each month, and we expect admissions from Syria to surge in 2015 and beyond." - Anne C. Richard, Assistant Secretary, Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration
Chromeus

2004-08-19, 00:17

sounds good

here a pic of my lovely 64bit pc and my g4 imac
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2004-08-19, 01:01

Chromeus, what App are you using to create your designs?
_Ω_
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to _Ω_  
2004-08-19, 01:07

Quote:
Chromeus, that's kind of what I'm going for, though it needs the LCD to be on a "train track" so that it can move back and forth. I also sort of insist on it having the back piece that "doesnt do anything" because I want the whole thing to be able to fold up and lay flat, like a PowerBook. That would make it easily transportable.
If people want portability they buy a laptop. I can still not see the benefits of this design. How does the back piece add value, other than this "train track" which I think would be a negative aspect of the design.

You basically are designing a laptop with the screen on the wrong way....

Angels bleed from the tainted touch of my caress
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2004-08-19, 01:13

...and really fat... like a windows notebook.
Chromeus

2004-08-19, 01:32

the new epod from honda
Chromeus

2004-08-19, 01:35

good old photoshop cs
on a g4 400mhz tower
Quote:
Messiahtosh
Chromeus, what App are you using to create your designs?
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2004-08-19, 02:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega
If people want portability they buy a laptop. I can still not see the benefits of this design. How does the back piece add value, other than this "train track" which I think would be a negative aspect of the design.

You basically are designing a laptop with the screen on the wrong way....

You could fold the screen down on itself for storage or when you have to move it from one location to the other. I am not talking about laptop-like portability.

This design has the best possibilities for expansion of any of these here.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2004-08-19, 02:42

Wow - this thread exploded in popularity after the iMac "leak." There's some awesome concepts here - pscates, at first I despised the "tMac," but now it looks a lot better. And Chromeus...awesome. I think the idea of the next iMac being a "notepad" (and awesome way of describing Tablet PCs, btw) is rather farfetched, but I do hope we see an Apple notepad computer someday, and I would want it to look JUST LIKE THAT.

I like the "iPad" but tablet computers are a lot more practical if they have a keyboard so they can convert into a regular notebook. Knowing Apple, this will be the way they'll try and get everybody to buy a "PowerPad."

Notepad computers are sorta in that nether region between PDAs and notebooks - in everything but price, that is. *grumbles* I'm not going to get into price, though, but I'm thinking about size. Again, this takes it further and further away from being the next iMac (hope you don't mind) but I think tablet computers should be sub-notebook in size, too. Maybe one of the reasons that dock is there (besides looking so gosh-darn cool) is because it has an optical drive?

Really, though, I like that concept a lot. I'd actually like the iMG5 better than the current iMac...and that's saying something.

Nobody commented on my "aMac" concept, though. I wish I knew how to draw...

Should I try making a picture in ASCII text?
Chromeus

2004-08-19, 03:34

here it is without the dock
Escher
Sub-PowerBook Lobbyist

2004-08-19, 08:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
Someone upthread wanted to see the front of mine...
pscates: Your mockup is looking better by the minute. It's by far the nicest one in this thread. I also love the hand-drawn quality of your illustration. Almost looks like you used SketchUp, although I know you didn't.

The only issue I can see with your design is that it is very deep. Your current T-design looks like it would be even deeper than the CRT-based iMac G3. Going from my Bondi iMac to an LCD panel (attached to my 'Book or a Wintel box) last winter freed up a large amount of space on my desk. I would hate to give up that desk space again for an iMac G5.

Escher

I've been waiting for a true sub-PowerBook for more than 10 years. The 11-inch MacBook Air finally delivers on all counts! It beats the hell out of both my PowerBook 2400c and my 12-inch PowerBook G4 -- no contest whatsoever.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-08-19, 09:16

Tough! j/k

No, it's just Adobe Illustrator. I'm retracing those 3D ones from a couple pages back and applying a calligraphic brush stroke to the lines, then using the gradient mesh for the shading/contouring. I've never used either of those features before, so I'm dabbling and learning as I go.

I too really dig the loose, hand-drawn look. Something totally new and different for me, as you probably know. I get to be precise with the pen tool and transform tools as before, but then it gets instantly "loosened up" by the brush. I really think I'm going to hone that a bit more!

And this is REALLY one of those times I wish I had a proper 3D program because, in my head, I see every aspect of this thing: the surface gloss, the curves/swoops, the "handle", the display tilt/swivel action, etc. and would LOVE to be able to sit down and build a "see it from all angles and see the display move up-and-down/side-to-side" photorealistic model.

Anyone good at that stuff who'd like a fun weekend project, get in touch with me. We can collaborate via e-mail and I can provide to-scale, outline/skeleton sketches in Illustrator for you to build off of, as well as verbal "make this more 'swoopy' and make that more glossy" guidance

Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2004-08-19, 09:22

Someone please come out of hiding with your 3D skills, that pscates model would be so cool to see, as he describes it!
Chromeus

2004-08-19, 09:40

what kind of program pAul?